As a small indie knitwear designer, I simply could not publish patterns without the help of a group of people near and dear to my heart: my test knitters. I’ve been a test knitter in the past, so I know how big of a commitment it is. I very much appreciate the feedback I receive during the process and am so grateful for the time you put into testing my patterns.
My test knits are run through my private Slack channel. You must be willing to create an account (it’s free!) if you don’t already have one.
I ask that testers post their projects on either Ravelry or Instagram.
The Blackrocks Wrap was inspired by the pattern made by rivulets of water receding from the ancient rock formations found along the shores of Lake Superior. It features dense cables and is knit flat from one end to of the rectangle to the other in a light fingering weight yarn.
Deadline: 21 August 2022
Pattern includes fully written instructions, charted instructions, and two low vision versions (see file information below for details).
Yarn and Sizes
10” / 25.5cm
15” / 38cm
20” / 50cm
75” / 190cm
95” / 241cm
Note: The yarn totals above include a 10% buffer to allow for differences in knitting style and yarn composition and for your swatch.
The actual yarn used for the pattern sample (Width 2, Length B) was a total of 1820 yards (1664 meters) of Knitcraft and Knittery Fingering Weight Corriedale (100% Corriedale, non-superwash) in colorway Mother Knows Best.
Unfortunately, the dyer whose yarn I used is no longer selling yarn. For yarn substitutions, choose a light fingering weight yarn that is plied, springy, and has good stitch definition.
(Modifications welcome: I’m happy for testers to use a different weight yarn if desired, or to adjust the size of the wrap to make the most of available yardage.)
A solid, semi-solid, or tonal colorway is recommended to allow the cable details to stand out well.
US 4 (3.5mm) needles
Or, size needed to obtain gauge
1 Cable Repeat = 5″/12.5cm wide and 1″/2.5cm tall
28 stitches and 32 rounds = 4″ / 10″ in Seed Stitch
Tapestry needle to weave in ends
1 cable needle
Optional: stitch markers (not denoted in pattern)
Skills needed include knit, ktbl, purl, slwyif, pfb, ptbl, ssp, p2tog, m1, C4B, C4F, 2/2RPC, 2/2LPC
This is what I usually ask of testers:
- I’d appreciate semi-regular progress updates, even if just to say that you’ve been too busy to knit.
- If using Ravlery, please create a project page created upon receipt of pattern, and link it to the pattern using the test code included in Slack.
- If using Instagram, feel free to post progress photos.
- Please do not post corrections to your project page; those should be communicated in Slack. Please do list all modifications on your project page.
- Feedback on clarity and layout of the pattern. I would also appreciate feedback on its readability on various devices, printed, etc. This pattern has been professionally tech edited.
- At least two well-lit photographs of the finished object posted to either Instagram or the Ravelry page. While at least one modeled photo would be great, this is not required.
- Completion of a brief survey.
Testers always receive 1) a final copy of the pattern when published, and 2) a code for a free pattern of choice, redeemable either through Payhip or Ravelry.
Interested in testing the Blackrocks Wrap? Fill out the form below:
Want to be notified by email for future test knits? Fill out the form below.
Privacy is important! Your email will only be used to notify you of available test knits. I do not send spam, newsletters, or promotional emails.